OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T although mostly similar in spec have a little difference when it comes to the rooting of the device. This difference is due to the fact that the new OnePlus 3T has the dm-veirty enabled in its stock boot image, which is not the case with the older OnePlus 3.
Here are few steps mentioned that will help you get your OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T rooted with TWRP and give you the freedom to install any custom Rom or play around with your device and explore. Just a warning again that you must remember these steps are mentioned for the whole purpose of knowledge and any damage to the device will the fault of the user himself. And remember these steps are specifically for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T and won’t work in other devices.
What would you require to root both OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T
- Charge the device you intend to root to about 70%, this is a must as rooting drains battery and if you have very little juice left, the device would shutdown causing a break in the process. This would result in a bricked device if the whole process could not be completed in one go.
- In your device head over to the setting option, scroll down to the about phone option and find the build number. Tap on the build number 7 times to unlock the developer option. Now go back to settings and you will see an extra option named as Developer Option. In the developer option turn on OEM unlocking, USB Debugging and Advanced Reboot options.
- Now download the latest ADB and Fastboot drivers from here ADB setup 1.4.3 and install it on your PC or Laptop. It will create a folder in your root memory that is the C drive. C: adb.
- Now download the TWRP recovery for OnePlus 3 from here officialy and for the newer OnePlus 3T you can download it from here TWRP. After downloading the necessary recovery for your device copy them into the ADB folder in your pc and rename the file to recovery.img. eg: if the downloaded file name for TWRP is “twrp-3.0.3-1-oneplus3t.img” , change it to” recovery.img”
- Now for regular OnePlus 3 you need to download the SuperSU that would give you the rooting access. For the OnePlus 3T you can download the SuperSU 3T. Copy them to the internal memory of the phone.
- Only for the newer OnePlus 3T you need the latest dm-verity disabler and copy it.
Now begin the fun
Unlock the Bootloader
First thing first, you need to unblock the bootloader to proceed with rooting the device.
Step 1: Hold down the power key and the volume + button on the phone at the same time to enter into the fastboot mode.
Step 2: Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
Step 3: Now go to the ADB folder and hold the shift button and right click to open the command prompt.
Step 4: Type in the command in the command prompt: fastboot devices, this would show you your device that is connected to the PC.
Step 5: Now type in the command : fastboot oem unlock¸this would take some time and if prompted on your phone to unlock the bootloader select Yes using the Volume Up button and press the Power button to confirm.
Step 6: Type in fastboot reboot, this would reboot the device and voila you have successfully unlocked the bootloader of the device.
To install the TWRP for both OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T
As your bootloader is unlocked just follow the following steps:
Step 1: In your device press the volume up and power key to enter into fastboot.
Step 2: In the ADB folder open command window again.
Step 3: Type in the command: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
Step 4: Now to boot into the recovery mode just hold down the power button and volume + button.
Step 5: In the recovery mode slide right and allow modification and select never show this screen.
Now comes the rooting part
For OnePlus 3
After the step 5 in the TWRP screen:
Step 6: Now flash the SuperSU from the internal memory. It will take time to reboot and you are done, you get the root access.
For OnePlus 3T
You need first flash the dm-verity-opt-encrypt zip to disable the encryption.
Then follow the Step 6 above and you can get root access of your new OnePlus 3T.
To check your root access you can download root checker app to check for the root status of your device.